Democrats of Rossmoor Volunteers
Please contact us if you are interested in any of the following:
- Committee volunteers are always welcome.
- We can always use Blog contributions; just submit an editorial or a link to a pertinent online news item.
- The Book Club needs people to speak about a book that they have read and enjoyed and that presents material of interest to the DoR.
- DRAAT (Democrats of Rossmoor Action Alert Response Team) volunteers work from home by contacting legislators on issues of importance.
- The Film Committee could use a person or two to help recommend films that they have seen and liked—and that are available on DVD for a reasonable price—and to preview films the committee is considering.
- We welcome contributions to our newsletter, the Rossmoor Democrat, which is published bimonthly.
- TGWD (Thank God We're Democrats) often could use a person or two to help with setup, name tags, reservations, etc
- Progressives' Famers' Market Table needs volunteers to man the table.
- Voter Registration is ongoing and can always use more volunteers.
- Flip Red to Blue calls blue voters in red areas across the USA to call their members of Congress about a timely vote (such as Immigration, Climate Change, or Health Care) and to ask a friend to also make a call. Instructions will be provided, including both paper and online call list options. You need to bring a charged cell phone and for virtual calling: either an iPad, tablet, or laptop. RSVP to Susan Lewis at 510-708-2851 or email her at email@example.com. Please include your name, phone number, email address, and which Wednesdays you wish to make calls. Join us on Wednesdays, 4–6 p.m. in the Gateway Oak Room (the card room). Refreshments will be available.
- Write2Blue writes short notes to lawmakers about current critical issues, such as health care and tax reform, and matters that impact the 2018 elections. Talking points will be provided along with lists of recipients and their addresses. Please bring any note cards, nice stationery, post cards, or stamps you can spare to add to our Write2Blue supply basket. Write2Blue meets on the first Monday of the month at 2–4 p.m. in the Mulligan Room at Creekside. RSVP to Tricia Spiegel at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 925-954-7377, or just show up. Refreshments will be available.
- The designated DoR charity is the Trinity Center, which is a non-residential program serving homeless and working poor adult men and women in Walnut Creek and Central Contra Costa County. See their website for volunteer opportunities or see the Trinity Center Wish List for needed food, clothing, and personal hygiene items
Commit to Flip Blue
Commit to Flip Blue is partnering with Working America to flip California’s 10th congressional district (California's 10th congressional district is a congressional district in California. Currently, the 10th district encompasses an area of the northern San Joaquin Valley held by Jeff Denham (R–Turlock)). They are asking all volunteers to attend one volunteer training session and commit to volunteer for at least one canvass date in July. DoR's own Flip Red to Blue is an offshoot of Commit to Flip Blue.
Due to the interest shown after our June General Meeting regarding refugees and immigrants, we are including the following:
ESL Tutor Training Workshop
The Diablo Valley Literacy Council welcomes volunteers to tutor adults in English They need tutors who can commit to 1 or 2 hours of tutoring per week on a regular basis. They provide training, match you to a student, and help start your 1-on-1 tutoring.
Location: Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 4000 Clayton Road, Concord
When: two Saturday sessions: September 30 and October 7, 9 a.m.– 1 p.m.
Cost: $20 registration fee, if paid before September 30. Continental brunch will be included.
To register: click here or leave a message at (925) 685-3881.