The American Health Care Act—as created by the Republican leadership—will close down the healthcare exchanges which currently help the formerly uninsured to obtain insurance and thereby deny insurance to about 23 million people. It will exclude the mandate for fair pricing of coverage for those who have pre-existing conditions thus causing those folks to be priced out of the market. It is slated to cut massive amounts of funding from the Medicaid budget; two thirds of which funds coverage for folks between 50 and 66 who do not yet qualify for Medicare. Use your own words to protest passage of the American Health Care Act.
Who to call: we suggest calling a few of these people every day.
- Please call tricky Mitch McConnell who engineered this rule change to avoid committee hearings. He is the person who will be leaning on Republican Senators to pass the bill.
- We have listed all the Republicans on the Health, Labor, and Pension Committee. Ask for the Senator’s legislative assistant if you call the DC office
- We have also included a link to the healthcare staffers who keep a record of pros and cons for each bill. Email/Facebook the link.
And if you can persuade friends or relatives in other states to phone, please do so. There is some discussion about whether phoning out of state Congress people is effective, but they all keep track of the number of calls. We have not mentioned Kamala Harris because her office says she is already receiving 10,000 calls a day.
Please help inundate the Senate with calls to show that we do know what is happening and we do not approve!
Senate Majority Leader
Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) 202. 224.2541, Louisville: 502.582.6304, Paducah: 270.442.4554
Republican members of the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee (Starred names are reputed to be the most likely to vote against the bill.)
- *(Chair) Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) 202.224.4944; Chattanooga: 423.752.5337
- Richard Burr (R-NC) 202.224.3154; Winston-Salem: 800.685.8916
- Bill Cassidy (LA) 202-224-5824, Baton Rouge: 225-929-7711; Metairie: 504-838-0130
- *Susan Collins (R-ME) 202.224.2523; Augusta: 207.622.8414
- Michael Enzi (WY) 202-224-3424; Cody: 307-527-9444; Jackson: 307-739-9507
- Orrin Hatch (R-UT) 202.224.525; Salt Lake City 801.524.4380
- John Isakson, (R-GA) 202.224.3643; Atlanta: 770-661-0999
- Rand Paul (KY) 202-224-4343; Bowling Green: 270-782-8303
- *Lisa Murkowski (AK) 202-224-6665; Juneau:907-586-7277; Fairbanks:907-456-0233
- Pat Roberts (KS) 202-224-4774,;Topeka: 785-295-2745; Wichita: 316-263-0416
- Tim Scott (SC) 202-224-6121; Midlands: 803-771-6112
- Todd Young (IN) 202-224-5623; Indianapolis: 317-226-6700
Senatorial Healthcare Staff Members